Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Brrrrrrrrr

Ran 7.5 miles @ 8:10/mile pace.
Trail coated with packed snow.
Mostly flat.
Weather: 17 degrees.

A grad school project ran late this afternoon and I began to fret over my run until I remembered some friends were running around the Back Cove in Portland at 6pm, so I decided to head over and run with them. Jim, Ian and Emma and I ended up doing two laps, with Jim and I tacking on a little extra at one point.

The run at first felt very tough. My energy felt low and the run seemed like a bit of a struggle. Nevermind the bitter temperatures and biting wind, or the snow coated trail which was anything but fast. Luckily, my friend Jim is a talker, and listening to him kept my mind off the rough time I was having.

However, something somewhat magical happened about a mile or so into the second loop. A second wind, coming from out of nowhere. I felt great, got into a comfortable rhythm, and picked up the pace. All cylinders were firing once again and it was nice to finish the run strong.

4 comments:

Banking Miles said...

I am glad your run ended on a good note - your prior run and the start of this run sounded rough. How do you get used to running in snow covered trails? - it is tough as I have been finding out.

Jamie Anderson said...

Bapp, some people use yak-trax (sp?) or stabilicers to aid in traction. I may pick some up at some point.

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

ove is a very nice place to run. Nice to see all the cylinders firing.

Andrew (and maybe Mike) will be coming to Farmington for a long run (20+) on the 28th. You are more than welcome to join us. Come up on the 27th and partake in the pre-run festivities (beer and ice cream) - just bring a blanket and something to sleep on.

Jamie Anderson said...

Marc - thanks for the invite. I may just take you up on that. It'd be great to do a long run with you guys!