Tuesday, January 09, 2007

A Gator-like Run

Ran 10.1 miles. 1.8 mile warmup + 7.0 miles @ 6:50/mile pace + 1.3 mile cooldown.
Paved roads.
Moderately hilly.
Weather: Upper 30s, sunny.

Today's run started out with accompanying two of the teachers I work with on a run around the pond. They are new to running, so it served as a good warm-up for me, and what sounded like a good first experience for them.

After they finished, I set out for 7 miles at my projected marathon pace, which is 7:10. Like on Saturday, I went way too fast, but it didn't start out that way. It reminded me of last night's game, and I saw a parallel there.

Rewind to last night...

Ohio State took the opening kickoff and ran it for a touchdown against my Florida Gators. It was an omnious start for my alma mater, but perhaps it upset the Gators and they used that energy to their own advantage. It would certainly appear so, seeing as they kicked the living crap of the Butteyes from then on and went on to win 41-14.

Fast forward back to this afternoon...

The run got off to a not so good start since I felt like I was struggling through the first mile and hit it at only 7:19. I wasn't too happy about that, so I set forward to make sure I picked up the pace and from then on, I was flying. Unfortunately, it was again too fast. That's not to say I won't benefit from it, but I'd just like to get a better sense of what 7:10/mile feels like as I think that'll help me for the marathon.

Mile 1: 7:19
Mile 2: 6:53
Mile 3: 6:59
Mile 4: 6:37
Mile 5: 6:47
Mile 6: 6:37
Mile 7: 6:38

On a positive note, the run actually felt easier as I went along. The miles just clicked by and while I can't say it was effortless, I can say that it was pretty easy to hold that pace. Still, 7:10 would better. After the MP workout was over, I cooled down with 1.3 miles. Definitely a good day.

2 comments:

MB said...

glad you're liking the new shoes

it seems most of your runs are hilly

Best way I know to get a solid feeling for pace is on the track. Being a teacher you must have a track or measured distance at your disposal. Unless, your way out their in Maine somewhere.

If runs like today hold up, that 7:10 will be a nice training run in Hyannis on the road to Boston!

Banking Miles said...

Very nice run. And congrats to your Gators - for beating my arch enemy THE ohio state university. Basketball and football national champs - that is awesome.