Friday, January 12, 2007

Running Around Eagle Lake

Ran 11.6 miles @ 8:07/mile pace.
Carriage trails.
Very hilly.
Weather: 40 degrees. Mostly cloudy.

If you've ever been to Acadia National Park, you're probably aware of the carriage trails which run through the park. They're essentially very well groomed wide paths the width of fire roads that run through the park and are perfect for running. I was up in nearby Ellsworth for a teacher's conference today, and rejoiced when we finished our work early so I drove over to Mt. Desert Island to get in my run.

There's a great 5.8 mile trail that circumnavigates Eagle Lake in Acadia. It's a favorite for many of the runners of Eden Athletics and for good reason: it's not only scenic, but can be pretty challenging as well. So that's where I headed. I parked off Rt. 233 and ran clockwise around the lake twice. The trail starts off pretty flat with a light gradual uphill for the first few miles, then it really cranks up a big, gnarly hill for a very long stretch and conversely heads back downhill for a long bit.

The first loop had good daylight, and as I started the second loop, the sun began to set and the vibrant orange sky reflected brilliantly off the lake. It was quite beautiful, and I wished I had my camera. I soon reached a darker patch of thick woods, and not too far away heard a barred owl making a call repeatedly. Always neat to hear. Soon after that I switched on the headlamp and finished the rest of the run in the dark.

The run itself went great. Just a recovery/volume run, the kind to just go out and enjoy. No worries about pace, just plugging along at a comfortable slow gait. I definitely really enjoy these runs after the speedier workouts.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

I live too far away to get to Acadia for a run. Sounds wonderful!