Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Schizo Run

Ran 11.0 miles @ 7:35/mile pace. Progression run.
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Weather: mid-30s, sunny, windy.

Today's run was a progression run. That wasn't exactly planned though. Original plan was to do 15.0 miles at an easy pace. The first couple miles felt as if my legs were made of lead, so I changed my plan to just do 10 miles. I wasn't aware of it until later, but my speed was increasing. Then I decided to shoot for a mile or two at MP but it ended up being more. Splits looked like this:

Mile 1: 7:55
Mile 2: 8:24
Mile 3: 8:13
Mile 4: 8:01
Mile 5: 7:46
Mile 6: 7:48
Mile 7: 7:38
Mile 8: 7:02
Mile 9: 6:44
Mile 10: 6:42
Mile 11: 7:15

The last five miles average out to 7:04/mile, well within my 7:10/mile pace goal for the Hyannis Marathon. That was nice to see, especially after the struggling start. Those miles all felt good also. Runs like today leave me scratching my head. Weird how such a horrible feeling at the start can end feeling great. Having said that, I do feel quite tired after this run though.

3 comments:

MB said...

those last four miles are your sweet spot, how did they feel? any races coming up to test them out?

Jamie Anderson said...

They felt really great. It wasn't a struggle at that point. Breathing was easy and hitting that pace was pretty much effortless.

No races up here, other than the Mid-Winter 10-mile Classic on February 5th. Don't want to run that because it's the last weekend before the taper and need to get in a final long run. Too bad it wasn't a week sooner.

Michael Jay Dotson said...

Nice work. Just remember this run if your legs feel heavy at the start of the marathon.
It's all about the ebb and flow.