Friday, June 08, 2007

Double Half Marathons

Total miles = 26.2

Morning:
13.1 miles @ ~8:15/mile pace.
HR data not available.
Paved roads.
Very hilly.
Upper 40s to lower 50s.

Afternoon:
13.1 miles @ ~ 8:15/mile pace.
HR data not available.
Paved roads.
Very hilly.
70 degrees, humid.

I've been wanting to run to work and back by the end of the school year (last day is June 19th), and this was pretty much my last good chance to do it. The Mt. Washington Road Race is a week from tomorrow, so I wouldn't want to do it next week.

My morning got off to an ominous start. Before leaving my house at 5am, I discovered the batteries were drained on my Garmin. I had left it on, and was cursing myself for doing so. Begrudgingly, I set out, telling myself during the first few miles that it was no big deal. I just wouldn't have as many little numbers to look at, that's all.

Lot's of big grinding hills along this route, and I was enjoying cruising along in the cool morning air. I eventually reached my school, showered, and then classes began.

Final bell rang, and shortly thereafter I was off again to run back home. Much more humid and warm this time around, but it still could have been worse. My legs were tired, but I trudged on and made very good time. Same pace as the morning in fact. Was very pleased with that.

Good run. Now I'm hungry.

4 comments:

Runner NYC said...

Great job, Jamie! I sometimes think about running to work (only 10 miles), but haven't gotten up the nerve to do it yet. I'll have to practice running with a backpack first. Can't wait to hear about your race!

Andrew said...

That is some serious daily mileage.

Rose said...

Wow, that's fantastic - I think I'd be done for the day after running 13 miles to work!

Olga said...

No, seriously, are you really that guy after the surgery? Or is it time flies and what I think happened yesterday was actually a couple of months ago, and I should stop been surprised?
Very impressive, Jamie!