Sunday, June 17, 2007

The Forest Has Eyes

Ran 15.2 miles @ 12:10/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 123/144
Trails.
Extremely hilly.
Mid 60s dropping to mid-50s.



The purpose of this run was to get used to running at night at a pace close to what I hope to be doing at the VT100. I also wanted to do it tonight as my legs were tired from the Mt. Washington Road Race, which would help simulate the night conditions more than if I was fresh.

I drove up to Pineland Farms and began running at 9pm, where micro beacons of light from lightning bugs illuminated the hay fields beneath the starry skies above. I was off to a good start and enjoying myself and it would only continue, as I was able to maintain the pace easily, walking the uphills and running the downhills at a slow pace. I also was able to experiment with a few things. For example, mile seven I walked briskly to see what my pace would be, and I ended up at about 15:00/mile. Potentially valuable information since I imagine I'll be walking more in the later stages of the race, and I can figure out what I need to finish. I also experimented with peeing while walking, something that I've read can save up to 30 minutes of time during a 100 mile race.

Getting used to running with a headlamp was also valuable, especially since it's been a while since I've done so. I was able to figure out which settings were best and get practice reading the terrain with the provided light.

And that headlamp helped me spot numerous critters in the dark. I came across two foxes and a porcupine. I also saw dozens of eyes staring at me from the woods, their eyes reflecting the light of my headlamp. I mused how this definitely would have scared the pants off of me when I was a kid, but now I thought it was cool.

Ended the run a little after midnight. Good run, I was very glad I did this.

2 comments:

Banking Miles said...

Wow. I would have still been scared out of my pants now if it were me. Nice run and dedication to training.

Bryon Powell said...

Best of luck at VT 100. I'm still on the entrants list, but will skip it in favor of running a fall 100 when I'll hopefully be in significantly better shape.