Saturday, June 23, 2007

Mt. Agamenticus and the New Asics

Ran 12.0 miles @ 11:15/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 140/162
Trails and dirt roads.
Extremely hilly.
Mid 60s, partly cloudy, breezy.

I drove down to Mt. Agamenticus to meet up with my running buds Ian, Emma, Erik, as well as several other runners doing a three mile loop up and down the mountain. Many of these fine folks were from the GAC Running Club down in Massachusetts. Good to see a few I had met before, and meet new ones. Many of the folks there today are also running the Vermont 100 next month, so it was great to meet more of them and also get some valuable insight to the course from those who had run it before. Fun time indeed.

Okay, the run itself.... original plan was just to do two loops at my "ultra pace", which is slow and steady. Legs are still very sore from the Pemi Loop the other day, but as I got going, I started feeling less so. Loop started on a long downhill dirt road for about a mile before turning right into the woods and up the mountain via a trail. Very steep going up, and I power-walked most of it. GPS data shows around a 500 feet gain for each loop. Once at the top, a nice winding switchback takes you back down the parking lot. Lot's of fun to run on. Decided to add a third loop after feeling good after the first two, and when I finished a guy in the parking area, Ron, convinced me to do another with him. Was glad I did the fourth, as I was feeling good and didn't feel I was risking anything. Sure, now I'm really sore, but it's the good kind of sore. Good day.

This was also my first run in my new Asics Kayano-13s. My previous pair of Asics GT-2120s were great, but I noticed from the tread that I was still overpronating with them and needed something with a little more support. The Kayanos were recommended to me by the good folks at the Maine Running Company, and I'm very happy with them after this first trial run. Same fit, just a bit more support. Since most of the VT100 is dirt roads, I'll be wearing road shoes for the race, but will have trail shoes available just in case. Anyway, I suspect these Kayanos will be serving me well.

Happy running!

1 comment:

Runner NYC said...

Your training is going great and it sounds as if your knee is healing well. Are you an ice-bath fan? The best I've been able to manage is a cold bath, but someone recommended alternating hot and cold water in the shower instead. None of the options sound pleasant, but if I can walk the day after a marathon, I'm in!