Thursday, June 28, 2007

When Deer Flies Attack

Ran 5.6 miles @ 7:09/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 165/177
Paved and dirt roads.
Very hilly.
Lower-mid 80s, very humid.

Another very hot day today, but thankfully this will be the last one for a while as much cooler air makes its way in tonight. Once the temps got down a bit, I headed out the door at around 6:45 this evening to get in my run. It was still very warm and muggy out, but nothing like yesterday.

I set out at a good pace and picked up the speed as I climbed the 3-mile long hill. I hit my splits at 7:34, 7:25, and 7:00 respectively and was feeling good, despite the heat.

And then, they came.

What is normally a nice decent on a smooth, dirt road through the woods and near a bog became an interesting exercise in frantic arm waving while running like a bat out of hell as at least a dozen deer flies flew in circles around my head. I hit that next mile split in 6:51. Fortunately, none managed to bite, but they did get in my eyes and nose a few times. However, I guess I should thank them for the extra cardio workout.

Finally made it out to the main road which has enough traffic to throw the deer flies off course, and the wind blast from a passing gravel truck was about as welcome and refreshing as a tall glass of lemonade. Slowed down a bit here and coasted home. Took off my running shoes, and my cat, The Cheat, promptly grasped one of my shoelaces in his mouth and began dragging my shoe off. A funny end to an interesting run.

3 comments:

Love2Run said...

That's one way to get your speedwork in. And your CAT tried to steal your sneaker? Do you have any more tall tales to tell? Sounds like the knee is all healed up.

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Ah, the deer flies. I'll take black flies and mosquitos over those bastards.

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Ah, the deer flies. I'll take black flies and mosquitos over those bastards!