Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Test Run

After continuing to feel the cold that has resurfaced and also barfing up my dinner last night, today's run was obviously in question. Just want to make it clear that I'm not fishing for sympathy here (though the comments from yesterday are appreciated), just documenting! Being frustrated with this nagging cold, I did my best to stick it to the man by doing the following last night and this morning:

- Ate lots of candied ginger (for stomach)
- Increased fluid intake (ginger ale)
- Increasing vitamin C (lots of orange juice)
- Ate two cloves of raw garlic (good thing I'm off all of this week for winter break)
- Taking DayQuil liquid caps
- Taking Ibuprofen
- Continuous sipping of hot water and mint tea (to kill bacteria in mouth and throat, mint tea also for the stomach)

The one thing I can do better on is probably the most important: REST. I had decided to do just that today until there was a knock on my door. It was UPS, and they delivered the new strap for my HR monitor. Yippee!

So, I compromised. Just a short run today. The fresh air might do me some good, right? If I go slow I won't stress my body too much, right? And the HR data might give me a better sense of how this cold is affecting my body, right?

Right.

Ran 3.0 miles @ 8:18/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 143/159 (better than I expected, but still a little high)
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Mid 20s, very windy, sunny.
Long pants, fleece jacket, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

4 comments:

Thomas said...

When I did a lot of coughing in December, I did most of those things too, but in the end they did not stop me from developing pneumonia because I still kept running in the cold rain.

Rest would have done the trick. Be careful.

mindy said...

Hopefully this week off will give you some good time to rest. Seems like the stomach bug doesn't seem to last long (at least for the folks who had it in my office, thankfully, I missed it). Take care of yourself!

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Man, that's quite a regimen you're on. Your mistake was the DayQuil instead of the NyQuil, which would have ensured that you slept through the UPS guy's knock and gotten the rest you needed (wanted?).

But it's hard to keep a good mountain goat down. I enjoyed the pics and write-up of your adventure in the Whites!

Runner NYC said...

I'm sorry you're so sick! I hope your cold-fighting regimen works and that you're back on your feet soon!! I'm ignoring that you went for a run when you know you shouldn't have! Above the neck, yes - below it, no!