Monday, April 14, 2008

Railroad Run

I've become fascinated recently with an old railroad bed that runs by the school I teach at as well as my house. I spent yesterday exploring a few miles of it near my house (it was an easy walk, not a run or strenuous hike, so I opted to not do an entry for it), and ran on part of it near my school today. Basically the railroad started in the mid-1800s and was in service until 1961. It ran from Rochester, NH to Portland, ME, and was fittingly called the "Portland and Rochester Railroad". I've been digging up a lot of other history on it, but I'll save that for a later post.

Ran a little over seven miles total of it today on an out and back route. Legs felt tight for the first two miles, but great once I warmed up. Trail conditions were about a third snow, with the other two thirds being dirt and mud. Nice!

Ran 7.1 miles @ 8:45/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 143/158
Trails (65% dirt/mud, 35% snow).
Moderately hilly.
~50 degrees, partly cloudy.
Shorts, long sleeved shirt.

No comments: