Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Trail Scouting

I've laid out some pretty nice trail routes from my house, so I wanted to do the same from my school. I often opt to run right from the school when I'm done teaching before I drive home. The temptation to relax and take a nap is often too great if I come home first.

The main purpose of today's run was to explore some trails knowing I'd probably reach a few dead ends or areas that weren't passable, but I was hoping to get at least an idea of a few good routes. It went as expected, and I explored some pretty nice sections and have a much better idea of what's out there now.

I also wanted to take it easy this run, so I kept the pace slow and enjoyed it. Most of the trails (90-95% ?) were still coated in slow, so going fast would have been difficult anyway. The snow is melting fast though. Quite fast. Cool.

Worth noting I saw a deer, an osprey, and three huge turkeys during the run.

Also worth noting that despite waking up at 2:30am and not being able to fall back asleep, I felt pretty okay during this run. Not my full self, but still pretty good considering. I suspect I'll sleep quite well tonight though.

Ran 11.5 miles @ 10:19/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 139/160
Trails, mostly coated with snow.
Moderately hilly.
Lower 50s, sunny.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt.

No comments: