Friday, July 11, 2008

Kayaking and Biking

Great couple of days of light cross training. After my run yesterday, I rested a bit and then packed up for an overnight kayaking trip to Little Chebeague Island with Heather. Beautiful weather and we had a great time, including cooking kabobs and corn on an open fire, topped off with s'mores for dessert. We slept right on the beach, watching shooting stars streak across the sky as we fell asleep.

Landed:

Kabobs and corn... mmm, mmm, good:


Heather as we rounded the island:

Stats:
Kayaked ~7.7 miles total.
3.7 miles Thursday
4.0 miles Friday.


On the way back, I picked up my road bike from the shop after its tune-up. Shortly after I got home, I took it out for a ride to test it out. Man, this bike is fast! It just cruises. However, the chain popped off twice when switching the front derailleur (forget which way). When I was picking up the bike from the shop, the mechanic mentioned that there were some weird spacers between the gears and he couldn't figure out why they were there and took them off. I think I found out their purpose the hard way. I'll give it another ride or two so I can pay attention to what's happening a little more and may need to take it back.

But aside from that, it felt really great to get out on the bike again. Great cross training and the back roads that have very little traffic (and there are plenty of those where I live) are especially fun.

Biked 10.5 miles @ 16.2 mph/avg.
AHR/MHR - 135/210 (MHR is definitely an anomaly, may need new battery)
Paved roads.
Moderately hilly.
Mid 70s, overcast.
Bike shorts, short sleeved shirt.

Oh yeah, I haven't forgotten about the Vermont 100 next week. I'll post more about that this weekend.

2 comments:

Judi said...

Hey, thanks for your comments on my blog. I really appreciate it. Thanks for reading!

Donald said...

The lake looks beautiful. Enjoy your taper!