Sunday, July 06, 2008

Run to the River

Capped off a great week of training by running to the Saco River, going for a quick swim, and then running back. It was fun, but today's run was grueling, mostly due to me being under prepared.

First off, I left around lunch time and had only eaten breakfast. I also only brought a single bottle of water with me, when I should have brought my double water bottle carrier. Not smart in this kind of heat and humidity, especially with how much I drink. I also didn't bring any gels or food. Felt fine on the way to the river and during my swim, but a few miles into the trek back I was hurting. I had drank all of my water after my swim and knew I needed to resupply.

I saw a family in front of their house and asked if they minded if I used their outside faucet to fill up. The woman insisted on me taking an ice cold bottled water from their fridge instead. I couldn't turn that down and thanked them profusely, and emptied it into my bottle. Man, that water tasted great. I downed it within a few minutes and felt my energy returning and made it home slowly but feeling fine.

Had a great week of training, and with the two week taper going into the Vermont 100, I'm feeling like I'm quite ready. Looking forward to it.

Ran 14.5 miles @ 8:20/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Very hilly.
Lower 80s, partly cloudy, humid.
Shorts, singlet, cap.

Weekly recap:
Total miles: 70.7
Elevation gain: ~15,500'
Hours: few minutes over 19 hours.

No comments: