Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Burning Hay

Despite two days rest after the long run on Saturday, today's short little jaunt felt like a struggle. Long story short, I haven't taken the proper steps to recover from the Vermont 100 over the past month. The long run last weekend combined with a more up-tempo 10-miler on hills a few days before have only served to burn the hay that was trying to rebuild in the barn rather than adding to the pile. The barn is now pretty empty and as a result I slogged through today's run.

I'm declaring no runs over 5 miles until the weekend, and maybe through the weekend. I've stepped up my diet a little more for the better which is good, and will continue to do so. Lots of fruits and veggies on tap.

On a brighter note, last night I passed the test to receive my technician's class amateur radio license. So did my buddy James. We have now joined the likes of fellow Maine runners Andrew and Marc who are also licensed. Cool.

Ran 4.8 miles @ 9:00/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Upper 60s, overcast, light rain.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt.

6 comments:

Andrew said...

Congrats on the ham radio license!!

mindy said...

I like the picture of the empty barn - would have been cool to see a barn on fire though! You'll get the legs back - you're doing all the right things. We've got tons of veggies from the farm - c'mon over and grill with us, why don't you? Congrats on the license!

Garry said...

Congratulations on passing your license! Good idea to give yourself some proper recovery from the Vermont 100.

Grellan said...

Well done on passing the test and coming to grips with your recovery.

Ultrathoner said...

Congrats on the license! It is smart (but difficult) to take it easy after a big race. I am already promising myself to take a few weeks off from any extended running after this weekend. We shall see how well I follow that promise.

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Well done on the ham license!

I guess I'll have to dust off the 2m rig and hoist up an antenna for the QRP rig as well.

73's