Monday, June 22, 2009

End of School Run

Last day of school today and I have the next few months off. It's been an awesome year of teaching (my fifth), and while I'll enjoy the break, I'm sure the trend will continue where by early August I'm looking forward to getting back.

But for now, time to celebrate! Went out for a muddy trail run this afternoon. With the weather we've had this past month, you'd think Seattle's climate has jumped over our way... cool, rainy and overcast most days and only a small handful days of sun that haven't lasted long.

The heat out in California will be quite a contrast later this week. I'll have to summon my Florida upbringing to battle what's expected. Currently, the forecast is calling for temps in the mid-90s on Saturday for the lower elevations. The climb up to Devil's Thumb will be a hot one. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate with a regular supplement of electrolyte pills and hopefully I'll be fine. Hey, at least there are no wildfire to cancel the race as of yet!

Ran 4.2 miles @ 9:33/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 142/161
Muddy trails, fire roads.
Very hilly.
Lower 60s, overcast, light rain.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt.

3 comments:

Blaine Moore said...

Hah! I spoke with a friend that lives out in Seattle last week and he said that they were on their 26th day of sun and no rain!

middle.professor said...

Maine weather has not cooperated for preparing for western states eh? I think I saw the answer on Colbert the other night. Hop on a treadmill with a sun lamp while neighbor Kate points two hair dryers at you.

Chris Barber, SeriousRunning.com said...

That sounds like some gnarly hot trail running. I'd hydrate during the week for a run in that kind of weather. Luckily, the California heat is more of a dry one and doesn't take as much out of you when there is high humidity.