Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Seven Out Back

Fun run in the woods behind my house. I feel pretty darn lucky to have great trails to run on literally from my own backyard. There are hundreds of acres of protected woodland back there that make for some awesome trail running. I love it!

I basically connected a series of trails to create a new seven mile loop. First mile and a half is on some rolling trails through the woods and then you come out on a fire road and run that for about a mile and a half. That part is pretty flat, but once you take the ATV trail back into the woods, there is a very technical climb for a little over a mile and a half. It's a buttkicker.

After the climb, you have a rolling downhill that takes you through some nice sections of woods and back on to another fire road for a small stretch, and then finishing off on a roller coaster section through the woods back to my place. Good stuff.

Very pleased with the pace. After I warmed up for a few miles, I felt very energetic and I felt like I was just cruising along. Great run.

Worth noting, no deer flies during today's run. Kind of cool out, but with the high humidity it felt much warmer.

Ran 7.1 miles @ 8:28/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 150/165
Technical trails, fire roads.
Very hilly.
60 degrees, overcast, humid.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt.

1 comment:

Chris Barber, SeriousRunning.com said...

You are pretty lucky to have all of those trails behind your house. That's cool that you were able to connect a bunch of trails to make one long one. Good pace too. Like the photos. Way to stay away from those deer flies!