Monday, August 10, 2009

Good News is Always Welcome

Got very encouraging news from the sports doctor today. The MRI showed that the stress fracture is healing nicely (I wish I asked for the pictures, it looked pretty cool). I'm glad I stopped running when I suspected I had it. That time off served me well and now I'm really glad I played things safe.

As a result, I can start weening myself off the pneumatic boot. The minute I feel any discomfort in the ankle, I am to put it back on though. Once I can go a full week in total comfort without the boot, I can start to run again. When this will happen exactly, I have no idea, but it should be sooner than the 6-8 weeks I had originally thought I might have to take off after today.

I'm stoked about this news. The doc said I should definitely be able to do the elliptical machines at the gym for cardio. I'll add that to my workouts starting tomorrow. In the meantime, the weightlifting has been going well. It can't compare to running obviously, but I still am really enjoying it. I'm hoping a little extra muscle all around (but not too much) will help make me less injury prone. Worth a shot.

5 comments:

Paige said...

That is indeed great news! I'm glad recovery is going well and hope that it continues to go well.

Weightlifting is the next best thing to running, in my opinion :) Keep it up!

mindy said...

This is fantastic news. You can request to get the MRI on disk, just ask the doctor's office (makes a great Christmas card photo!) So psyched the recovery time is shortened!

Lalaith Means Laughter said...

I went through the same thing in 2006....stress fracture no running and wearing "Das Boot"

It was tought to give up running but in the end it made all the difference and the boot was actually easy to get around in...I did support for an AR team wearing it...when I ws ready to retire it the thing was covered in dirt : )

I am glad to hear you are on the mend!

Scout said...

Yay! Good news indeed. I like Mindy's idea for the MRI.

I'm always jealous of people who actually like weight training.

Luc said...

That's great news, Jamie. I like "good news" posts. :)