Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Bear Thwarted My Plans

A bit of excitement at the school today, as a bear was allegedly spotted on school grounds. I was asked to help keep an eye on things outside for a bit but then had to attend a staff meeting. While in said meeting, I missed the announcement of where XC practice was going to be held because of the bear. So, I ran to a couple of usual practice spots to no avail, but the mileage in doing so was adequate for my own needs.

I've developed a case of shin splints over the past few days. Big shocker there. I always get them after a lay off from running so not a big concern. If past history repeats itself, which I anticipate it will, they'll be gone in 2-4 weeks. Might have to take it easy here and there as a result, but that's fine. No need to rush anything, as no big races are on the horizon for a while.

Ran 3.7 miles @ 8:41/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - N/A (forgot strap)
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Lower 70s, partly cloudy.
Asics GT-2120s (heelless), shorts, short sleeved shirt.

7 comments:

Paige said...

Just make sure you are stretching out your calves A LOT. Since you're doing the whole barefoot thingy, and you've removed your shoe heels, your calves are getting a lot more attention than they are used to. This means they are going to start pulling on your shins more if they remain tight. So to avoid the splints turning into a stress fracture, you need to make sure they are loose. Woohoo running! So glad you're back!

Sparkplug said...

Lions, tigers and bears, oh my! Sounds like an exciting day of teaching :-)

mindy said...

Glad this wasn't the day when the bar gets you.

Thomas said...

That wildlife around your place is certainly keeping you entertained!

Sonhasrisenrunning said...

Nice to see you back training. It's nice to take that time off. Hope that you have a good school year.

Ryan said...

The hazards of XC running! Beside the recent shin splints I’m glad to hear things are coming along on the running front. With all the XC running you must be getting fast.

Leslie said...

Moose? Bears? I'm having flashbacks of a Yogi and Boo-boo Dialogue! Something about Moose and Squirrels....