Saturday, September 12, 2009

Moose Encounter

Big highlight during today's run was a moose sighting, and it was just a mile into the woods behind my house!

I was running along when I heard something big crashing through the woods, thinking it was a deer. Stopped and looked, and saw it was a huge, female moose! It was clearly aware of me, and I slowly walked towards it and got about 100 feet away. We stared at each other for several seconds before she jogged off into the woods. Really neat to look a big animal like that in the eye.

And running wise, I felt great. I've only been running a week since coming off the injury, but all systems are a go. I appear to be shaking the rust off faster than the last time I took considerable time off because of injury, which was last winter. Heart rate still a bit high, but actually very good for where I'm at now. Pace wasn't too bad either, especially on this route, which is pretty tough. I simply felt good out there.

Ran 7.1 miles @ 9:55/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 147/165
Trails, fire roads.
Very hilly.
Lower 60s, mostly cloudy.
Asics Trail Attacks (heelless), shorts, short sleeved shirt.

3 comments:

middle.professor said...

Great find. All Rodney, Sasha, and I saw while running Brook Rd. was Ian & Emma.

MB said...

good to see your return!

mindy said...

Moose sightings rock - was she looking at your heelless shoes and saying "what the....?". Glad to hear things are kicking back into place!!