Friday, January 01, 2010

Kicking Off the New Year With a Run and a Ski

The New Year begins! Headed out for a great little trail run. Rather than write about it, here's a video:



Ran 7.0 miles @ 9:35/mile pace (includes a few stops to shoot footage)
AHR/MHR - N/A
Trails, coated with a thin layer of unpacked snow, icy at times.
Very hilly.
Upper 20s, overcast, light snow at end of run.
Brooks Cascadia 3 (screw shoes), long pants, fleece jacket, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

On the way back from the run, I saw the grooved tracks left by somebody who XC skied in and took another path. Hmmmm. Sounded good. I went home, refueled on homemade beef stew and homemade bread, grabbed my classic skis and drove down to the main trail head.

Unfortunately, the snow was pretty sticky. My classic skis are really old and beat up, and in desperate need of waxing. They're great for just tooling around though, which is all I really care to do with this kind of thing. I have the skate skis for the serious stuff (though I have a long way to go with those and much to learn). Anywho, it was fun to go a few kilometers in them, even if I couldn't really get a good glide going and it was slow.

XC skied (classic style) 4.3 kilometers @ 11:11/km pace.
AHR/MHR - N/A
Trails, coated with a thin layer of unpacked snow.
Mostly flat.
Lower 30s, overcast, light snow.
Long pants, windbreaker, long sleeved shirt, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

3 comments:

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Thanks for showing us round your Neighbourhood.
When you find the tracks of Bigfoot in the snow I'll be really impressed :]

Sarah said...

I watched the whole thing.:) Fun seeing where you run. I love running in the snow, although it doesn't happen that often around here.

MB said...

nice video, I'll be posting a lame one soon