Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Long Live Raw Garlic

I sped up beating that nasty head cold with a remedy that really works well for me: raw garlic and orange juice. Yesterday afternoon I crushed two cloves of raw garlic and minced them up, ate them raw and chased them down with a big glass of orange juice. Did the same before I went to bed and again when I woke up this morning.

It tastes nasty. It makes you smell. But it works.

By the afternoon today, I knew I was perfectly fine for a run. I had actually forgot to pack my jacket and gloves, so running from my work like I normally do was not really an option. So, I just high tailed it home, quickly changed, and immediately hit the woods out back to ensure I'd have enough daylight to get in 7-8 miles. I did bring the headlamp just in case, but I didn't need it.

The run went very well. I just took it easy, not pushing it too hard and running by feel. Pace was very good for this route. The snowmobile trails were well packed, allowing for relatively good speed. There was only one small section probably about a quarter of a mile long with no
snowmobile traffic to lay down the trail, but I hopped through it just fine.

Ran 7.8 miles @ 9:14/mile pace.
Snowmobile trails with well packed snow.
Very hilly.
Mid 20s, partly sunny turning to overcast.
Brooks Cascadia 3 (screw shoes), long pants, fleece jacket, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

No comments: