Saturday, January 30, 2010

Running on Ice

Chilly morning, so I ran some errands early to allow the temps to warm up to the upper teens before I hit the trails in the woods out back for a run. Conditions were as I expected: there were some bare patches of ground here and there, but mostly long stretches of ice coated with a thin layer of snow.

As a result, the conditions were relatively fast for running. The screw shoes did their job and gripped the ice well. I also felt strong and energetic throughout. Very pleasant run.

Speaking of screw shoes, I was given a set of IceSpikes to try out under the condition that I'd write a review of them on this blog. I guess now would be a great time to test them, so I'll probably install them tonight and give an honest review after I do a few runs in them.

Ran 7.3 miles @ 8:49/mile pace.
Trails, coated with ice and thin snow. Some bare patches.
Very hilly.
Upper teens, sunny.
Brooks Cascadia 3 (screw shoes), long pants, fleece jacket, long sleeved shirt, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

1 comment:

Kim said...

What a great run you had! I am new to winter trail running and did only 3 miles and that was tough enough! Look forward to your review of those ice spikes as I would like something a little less cumbersome than what I am using now.