Thursday, January 21, 2010

Sunny Day!

I've skate skied at Harris Farms five times now, and today was the first day I did so where it wasn't snowing and the sun was actually shining. The break in the weather allowed the freshly groomed trails to hold better, and the trails were in awesome shape. They did a great job grooming them.

As a result, I explored some new trails. I'd say about half of what I did today was on the intermediate trails. As a result, I wasn't too fast. However, I think I was much more efficient. I took Jeff's advice and worked on pacing myself better. I think I sometimes start my next glide too soon when I haven't gotten all I could out of the one I'm on, so I worked on getting the most
out of each stride. As a result, it felt much more efficient.

The trails were fun. Big fun. It was great to explore some new paths I hadn't been on yet. A lot of the intermediate trails were really hilly, so I got in some good climbing practice. I think I have room to improve in that area. I noticed I'm still not leaning forward into my glides as much as I should, and as a result, they are shorter and less efficient. Practice, practice, practice...

Another neat thing about Harris Farms is they have two friendly dogs that hang out at the ski center. They sometimes greet you when you approach from the trails. Dogs are cool.

Skate skied 10.4 kilometers @ 9.7 kph/avg.
Trails, well groomed.
Very hilly.
Mid to lower 30s, sunny.
Long pants, windbreaker, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.


No comments: