Wednesday, March 17, 2010

DL - Sprained Foot

I usually write my posts immediately after a run, if possible. Yesterday, if I had wrote it four or five hours later, it would have been different.

The run clearly aggravated the sprain in the foot. The good news is that while one never knows for sure until they see a doctor (and even then...), I don't have any doubt now that this is just a foot sprain (extensor tendon on top of foot). And with proper rest, they apparently do heal nicely.

The bad news is that I'll probably have to take a couple of weeks off. Frustrating, especially with the spring weather, but last week I saw dramatic improvement after four days off. Had I have waited a bit longer I probably would have had it healed up by now. But runners do stupid things with injuries and yesterday wasn't too smart, but keeping the glass half full it did provide good information and helped to clearly set the course on what to do next.

9 comments:

sn0m8n said...

Do not want.

Scout said...

Rats! Sounds like you've got it under control though.

Sparkplug said...

Bummer! Hope the ankle heals up fast!

RICK'S RUNNING said...

If I was you I'd go see a physio as soon as possible, often rest alone will not sort out your problem!
a wobble board would help strengthen all the muscles roumd your ankle, Rest is not always the best option, infact you might be worse off after two weeks rest!!! ie muscle wastage, more unstable joint etc!!!

Laurel said...

I don't mean to sound negative about the barefoot running thing, everyone's body is different, but I had a coach in the late 70's early 80's who used to have us run barefoot at times. Yes, barefoot running was alive and well back then, think Zola Budd. Anyway, I sprained muscles in my feet several times doing it, and I eventually ruptured the muscle on the inside of my foot during one speed work session. I don't know about your's, but my feet need some support when I run. Just food for thought.

Unknown said...

Hi Maine Runner, perhaps you'd consider blogging about Portland's Newest Green Event, The Race To Stop Extinction. It's a 5k around Back Cove in late May.
Granite State is timing it, Payson Park after party...great cause. Take a moment to check us out?
www.race2stopextinction.com trying to get the word out, my fellow runner. thanks so much

Jamie Anderson said...

Thanks all. Just to clarify, the sprain is on the top of my foot. Not the ankle.

Laurel, good thoughts for sure. The way I look at it though is that while I've now gotten two injuries now from barefoot/Vibram running (this sprain and a bloody toe), they are minor in comparison to the 14 months of plantar fasciitis brought on by heel striking in standard running shoes (which barefoot running helped cure). But I am learning I do need to be very careful. This sprain sucks! :-)

John said...

Laurel mentions "speed sessions" barefoot. Surely that is not what barefoot running is about. Everything I read says to build up slowly and gradually. I'm doing it too; unfortunately I don't do slow and gradually well; my first VFF run was 7 miles. My guess is that you have a similar concept of slow and gradual. My advice to us is to start over again on the barefoot training.

Hope it heals quickly.

Sonhasrisenrunning said...

Many words of wisdom here. I just find that as I get older I have to tone things down a bit and have more easy days. Dealing with injuries is frustrating and I find usually it's because I overdid it. Recovery time needed increases with age. You're not old--just found that things changed a bit in my later 30's.