Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Ramping the Vibram Running Up a Notch

More spring-like weather today, so it made for a perfect opportunity to ramp up the training in the Vibram Five Fingers. As an added bonus, it was so warm out I was also able to run comfortably in just shorts and a short sleeved shirt.

My previously longest road run in the VFF's was just a little over five miles. Today I thought I'd try a route that's just a tad over seven miles, but is also hilly enough to earn my "very hilly" classification. This simply means it has hills you look at and think "holy sh--" and they also put an appreciable dent in your pace.

It went very well. I was able to do it very comfortably but the true test will be when I wake up tomorrow and see how my calves feel. I suspect they'll be a little sore but still fine. All worth it though. I already like how my stride has adjusted for the better even when wearing clunky regular running shoes. Looking forward to more runs in the VFFs though as spring continues to arrive.

Ran 7.1 miles @ 8:29/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Very hilly.
Mid 40s, partly cloudy.
VFF Sprints, shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap.

5 comments:

RunSueRun said...

Hey Jamie, amazing how springlike it is where you are but, in contrast, how snowy it is in the Whites!! :)

Paige said...

1) I love the link you included for 'shorts'...laughed my tushy off!

2) A minimalist question: do you run ball-heel-ball in your Vibrams? I'm dabbling with the idea, and was curious what you do :)

3) Totally jealous you got to wear shorts.

Scout said...

Do you mostly wear your VFF's on the road? I'm hoping to get my pair today. Would a lap around the Back Cove be too much for a first run?

Al Nye said...

vja:

If you haven't worn Vibrams before, a lap around Back Cove would probably be way too much. I haven't worn mine since the fall but did 12 miles in them the last time I wore them. But starting out, I wouldn't go much more than a mile, two at the most. Your calves will rebel quite forcefully if you overdo it.

Just my two cents.

Al

pathfinder said...

My mind is still on the fence with the Vibram thing......I want to try it though.