Sunday, May 16, 2010

Saco River

Great ride today, and I successfully found the trail connections to take me all the way down to the Saco River and therefore avoided roads the whole way down. Most of it is along the abandoned railroad bed, which at a couple of spots is slightly tricky to find since there are detours around houses.

Once at the river, I did take the paved roads over for about a mile or so to a park in Buxton along the river. Road some of the trails there, then sought some different trails on the way back home.

Hit paved road for a few hundred yards up a hill to go an area where I thought some snowmobile trails might lead me back to the abandoned railroad bed. At the top, I stopped to talk to a guy working on his yard. He also bikes and we chit chatted for about 5-10 minutes and he tipped me off on what the trails were like ahead. His advice was great, as I successfully found the connection back to the railroad bed and back home.

What remains of where the abandoned railroad used to cross the river.

Saco River, from atop a cliff on the Buxton side.


Mountain biked 18.9 miles @ 9.0 mph/avg (20.6 mph/max)
Trails, some paved roads.
Moderately hilly.
Lower 60s to lower 70s, sunny.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt.

1 comment:

Laurel said...

Nice! Before you know it, you'll be out there cleaning up trails to make them more ride-able and more fun. The trails around my house sure have improved a lot since I took up mountain biking!