Saturday, July 17, 2010

New Shoe Smell

I was definitely due for a new pair of road shoes. I knew I wanted a racing flat or at least a low-profile lightweight trainer after being convinced that traditional trainers are garbage and they contributed to plantar fasciitis a few years ago due to promoted heal striking.

I went to the running store yesterday and tried on a few pairs, including the Saucony Kinvara, Brooks Silence, and Nike Zoom (not including a link to the Nike Zoom because their website sucks and makes you go through too much marketing crap before you get to where you need to go).

First up was the Saucony Kinvara. As soon as I put it on I was impressed. Fit my foot very nicely and felt great. Despite how it may look in the picture below, it really is a low profile shoe. And, it has a nice amount of cushioning (but not too much) for a shoe labeled as a "racing flat". The shoe is incredibly lightweight, weighing in at a mere 7.7 ounces. Also despite how it may look, it is an incredibly flexible shoe. Looks durable as well, but time will tell that. Ran with it outside the store for a few hundred yards and liked it even more.

I knew the Kinvara was likely going to be the winner, but I tried on the other pairs to compare. Next up was the Brooks Silence. This felt a little more flimsy in terms of durability and was a bit more of how I expected a racing flat to feel overall, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Not a bad shoe, but the Kinvaras were clearly a better choice for me.

Next up was the Nike Zoom. Slipped it on and the toebox was way too narrow. Not a good fit. Immediately took if off, not bothering with a test run.

So, this morning was my first real run in the Kinvaras. Continued to be very impressed. I really digged the comfort level in such a flexible, lightweight shoe.  The lower profile was also very apparent with my gait, which was great. I know it's just one run, but I don't think I've ever been more satisfied or impressed with a road shoe. Time will tell for sure, but so far these guys are winners.

As for the run itself, Neighbor Kate was out on a ten miler and I knew she was on the return route home, so I ran out to meet up with her. Found her about two and a half miles down the road and ran with her a  bit. My pace was around 7:40-7:45/mile when not with Kate. She's training hard for a trail marathon in November and she's ramping up the mileage nicely.

Likely doing a pretty big mountain run tomorrow, so was happy to keep the mileage low again today.


Ran 5.3 miles @ 8:31/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Mostly flat.
Lower 70s, humid, sunny.
Saucony Kinvara, shorts.

5 comments:

Sparkplug said...

Nothing like new shoes!
Are you doing the Mahoosucs tomorrow? If so, have fun! Unfortunately you can't drag Ryan along this time around - we're headed to MA to see his family...

Jamie Anderson said...

Yep, Mahoosucs. Will be nice to gain elevation to escape the heat (and dip into a swimmng hole, where one is rumored to be at the end).

Love2Run said...

Good luck, hope the bugs don't eat you up!

sn0m8n said...

Is Bob making you climb up Mahoosuc Arm? Yeah, have fun with that.

Thomas said...

I'm glad you're happy with your choice, but next time give the Nike Lunaracers a try. I know tastes differ but personally I think they are the best racing shoe on the planet.