Monday, July 12, 2010

Recovery Run and the Brick on My Wrist

Ran a little more than four miles barefoot on the athletic fields at the local high school.  Felt good to stretch things out and just run easy with the grass beneath my feet.  Still feeling pretty happy about how I did at the race yesterday.  Can't expect a lot a month and a half on to the comeback trail, so I'm pretty content with how I did.

Back to today's run:  Fortunately, I know the distance of each lap on the fields, as my Garmin Forerunner 305 is now no longer finding satellites.  It's now essentially just a big, bulky stopwatch.  Kind of disappointing.   About 21 months ago I received a factory refurbished one after my original kicked the bucket after just 18 months.  So, with an average lifespan of under 20 months, I don't think I want to buy another one.  They should last longer, in my opinion.. even if the price is now reduced to under $150 for a brand new one.  They're great when they work, but several species of insects can outlive the 305.

Will look into other manufacturers, but maybe one of Garmin's other models will fare better.  The 310xt looks nice, but not sure if I want to pay extra for all of those triathalon features.  However, the long battery life is nice.

The only other GPS-enabled model with a heart rate monitor is the 405cx.  Looks pretty sweet, but have read and heard a lot of not so positive things about the bezel controls.  Also, have heard and read the battery life is pretty bad, falling under the advertised eight hours.  Hmmmm.  Any input is appreciated.

Ran 4.2 miles @ 8:52/mile pace.
Grassy fields.
Flat.
Upper 70s, sunny, humid.
Barefoot, shorts, short sleeved shirt.

7 comments:

middle.professor said...

I'm on my 4th Garmin 205/305 and only one death
was my fault. They are fragile, to say the least. Still, they are awesome when they work. I just figure $150 every 18 months really isn't that much. Cheaper than shoes actually.

Jamie Anderson said...

That's a very valid point, Jeff.

sn0m8n said...

Get a sundial.

Blaine Moore said...

I made a few sundials in high school. Then I decided they required too much math and got tired of it. :)

I have only had my 305, but too many people have told me that the 405 bezel stops working if your fingers get wet or if you are wearing gloves, and I do too much rain in rain and/or cold.

I'd like to get a 310, maybe one of these days in the not too distant future.

Thomas said...

Late congratulations on a great race, but don't say that about the Garmin - mine is almost 30 months old and I don't want to shelve out for a replacement!

RICK'S RUNNING said...

I know a couple of people who have the 405 and they are not happy with them, touch them with a sweaty hand and they play up!
My 205 lasted 3 years without fault before the battery went dead.
i have a friend with a 310 and he rates it, but he's only had it about 5 months, so no long term report yet.
Has you tried cleaning the outer cover of your Garmin?

Grellan said...

Well done on the Bradbury Scuffle jamie. Gutsy race!

I have my 305 for about 26 months and I have noticed condensation forming on the inside of the screen over the last week - the seal must be gone - still works though.

This guy (http://www.dcrainmaker.com/) has great reviews of all Garmin products and is a mine of information on them. You can even post questions on his blog and who knows he may have a solution for getting your garmin back working.