Friday, September 10, 2010

Breaking in the New Shoes

Took the Adidas Adizero XTs out for a test run on some trails from my house. Overall, I liked them. I'm not flipping out over them at the same level as I did my Saucony Kinvara road shoes, but they're still a good shoe.

Initial impressions:
- Felt a bit snug in the toe box, especially in the first few miles, but that appeared to lessen as the run went on and they were broken in a bit more. Time will tell more.
- Felt surprisingly stiff at first. This also seemingly lessened a bit as the run went on, but given the reviews I read about it being a flexible shoe, I was a bit surprised by the lack of it. Maybe they'll continue to loosen up as they get broken in more and that's often the case, but again, time will tell how much.
- Grip was outstanding. High marks in that category.
- Low-profile was also very welcome. Glad the heel to forefoot differential is small (6mm). Feels much more natural as a result.
- Light-weight is appreciated (10.4 ounces), and combined with the awesome grip and low profile, it contributed to a very nimble feel.

As for the run itself, it went well. Pace was kept easy, which was welcome as I wasn't feeling terribly peppy again today. I think that's more the result of getting reacclimated to a busier schedule now that school has started, as well as coaching for XC.  Similar style easy run planned for tomorrow ahead of Sunday's race.

Ran 5.1 miles @ 8:45/mile.
Trails.
Moderately hilly.
Mid to lower 60s, mostly cloudy.
Adidas Adizero XT, shorts, short sleeved shirt.

No comments: