Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Garbage Double

AM:
Broke my running up into a double again today because of the heat wave. Hit the trails in the morning in the dark. I did the trail version of the Dump Loop, which is much more hilly and technical than the route I did yesterday morning. As a result, very slow going in the dark (on top of it being 5am and my legs not really wanting to move).

Ran 4.6 miles @ 9:52/mile pace.
Trails, some dirt road.
Very hilly.
Lower 60s, clear.
Asics Trail Attacks, shorts, short sleeved shirt, headlamp.

PM:
As it got close to 6:30pm, it finally cooled down to the mid-80s (reached 95 at the hottest point) and I headed out the door. It was around the same temperature that I ran in yesterday, only today felt more humid and there was the added fun of a bad air quality alert (ozone and particles). Air felt really heavy and nasty, was happy to keep this run short and slow.

Ran 2.9 miles @ 8:01/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Mid 80s, humid, bad air alert.
Saucony Kinvara, shorts.

Neither run today exactly of the highest quality. I don't mind excusing the early morning runs for simply putting miles in the bank, but to follow it up with another workout in the same day that is essentially garbage miles doesn't exactly leave me feeling content. At least yesterday evening's run was at a moderate pace. On the other hand, obviously getting in 7.5 miles is better than nothing at all especially with conditions like today. Would have been easy to just say screw it and take a day off.

Planning on another early run tomorrow, but nothing in the evening as we have a XC meet. Hopefully it won't be cancelled because of the heat, but that's a possibility I suppose. At least Friday things start to cool off, and later that day a little Hurricane Earl fun might be thrown into the works to boot.

1 comment:

Scout said...

"Garbage Double"...I thought you were going to have done the dump route twice. I think most runners had garbage runs today. Ugh!