Sunday, October 31, 2010

2011 Boston Marathon Confirmation Received


Forgot to mention it yesterday, but I received the final confirmation email from the Boston Marathon that my BQ time was verified and I'm in. While this was never in doubt, it was a bit nail-biting to gradually see practically all of my running friends and acquaintances names appear on the list bit-by-bit each day, wondering when my name would appear. But no longer, as I'm now on the list:

2011 Boston Marathon Entrants

And... exhale. It only took a little longer because my BQ marathon was the day before registration opened, and according to the Boston Marathon website, they need to receive the official results from the marathon, so naturally it took a bit longer. I figured this was the case, but now I can officially relax. I'm in.

Seeing my name on that list is both humbling and an honor. It's really hitting me now. Qualifying for Boston was a monkey I've had on my back for several years. Now that it's off, now that I'm locked and loaded, it really feels special. I remember my dad running it back in 1979. His bib number along with cut up strips of his mylar blanket were framed and displayed on our living room wall afterwards. I plan to do the same.

These thoughts and more danced through my head during a casual run in the woods out back this morning. Just ran by feel and let my legs do whatever felt comfortable, and ended up with a pretty good pace for this route. Last two miles I could tell I hadn't eaten breakfast though, and didn't feel terribly energetic as a result. Still a good run though. Now, bring on football!

Ran 7.7 miles @ 8:38/mile pace.
Trails and fire roads.
Very hilly.
Upper 30s to upper 40s, partly cloudy.
Adidas Adizero XT, shorts, windbreaker, shirt, beanie, gloves (shed halfway through)

2 comments:

Westley said...

Congrats! I hope to do it again some day.

Luc said...

Ahh so running fast is in your bloodline!? I knew it!! Congrats man, what a great goal to reach.