Sunday, October 03, 2010

MDI Redux

First off, a huge congrats to my friend Jeff for running his first marathon today (Maine Marathon). His time? 3:00:38, good enough for 16th place. Needless to say, very impressive indeed.

Saturday
In two weeks, it'll be my turn, and though I won't be nearly as fast as Jeff, I do expect to do quite well based on how my training has been going. Week one of tapering went quite well... hit the mileage I wanted to and got in the key workouts I wanted to do.

Kicked off the last two days with a weekend up at Mt. Desert Island again. I arrived Friday evening and set up camp in monsoon-like rains, and shortly after Jim and Shauna showed up. The rain lulled us to sleep and we woke up to clearing skies and headed down to the cliffs at the ocean to make coffee and watch the sunrise.

Afterwards, I headed over to Belfast to meet up with the other coach and the high school XC team. Meet went well and our kids put out some very impressive performances.

After the meet, back to MDI, and I immediately changed and went for a run along Park Loop road from our campground over to Thunder Hole and back. Ended up being a tempo-ish run over some pretty big hills and was a lot of fun. Felt really good out there and though the run was short, it was solid. Afterwards, dinner and drinks at Geddy's along with some other folks, and then s'mores by the campfire before calling it a night. Missed Nicole coming in after I had gone to bed.

Ran 6.0 miles @ 7:11/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Very hilly.
Lower 60s, sunny.
Saucony Kinvara, shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap.

Sunday
Woke up and took my time packing things up. Bid farewell to Jim, Shauna and Nicole. Jim and Nicole were off for a century bike ride and Shauna on her own run.

Drove to Eagle Lake and got in two loops and change for 15 miles. Bumped into Peter in the first loop, and we ran together for about half an hour before he veered off another carriage trail for some hill repeats.

Was nice to take the pace pretty easy. However, had some stomach issues and had to take a few bio-breaks. Was otherwise feeling fine though. Once the stomach settled, I found my rhythm easier and the run was more enjoyable.

With the run done, I went to the pay showers and cleaned up before the drive home. Must say, showers feel especially nice after not taking any for three days. Great weekend!

Ran 15.0 miles @ 7:59/mile pace.
Carriage trails.
Very hilly.
Upper 40s to mid-50s.
Saucony Kinvara, shorts, windbreaker (shed after three or so miles), sleeveless shirt, cap.

3 comments:

middle.professor said...

Thanks for the plug Jamie. Looking forward to you rocking the much harder MDI course.

Sparkplug said...

Sounds like a great weekend!

chris mcpeake said...

just came across your blog. very cool