Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Chilly 800M Repeats

Winter has returned. A good half inch or so of snow dusted the grounds this morning but more significantly, the colder air has taken over once again (lower 20s and breezy during my workout). I didn't think the track would be clear today, but by the afternoon much of the snow had blown around and the track was bare. Nice. As a back-up, I had wheeled an 800M route around the school I teach at and plan to use that this winter since they clear the parking lots and not the track, but not an issue today.

I did my warm-up run and was feeling pretty good. Then I hit the track and nailed down 5 X 800 meter repeats with 400 meters of active recovery in between. This ended up giving me :30-:40 less recovery time between reps compared to when I did my active recovery by time (3:00) rather than distance, so the difficulty was a bit higher.

Went well though. Hit my splits in 2:58, 3:00, 3:02, 2:56 and 2:54. On that third one, I got mad at myself for being consecutively slower on each rep, so I cranked the next two out a little harder. Afterwards, enjoyed a pleasant cool down run.

Good reintroduction to interval work, as I haven't done it in a few months. Boston is just 123 days away now, so time to start ramping it up!

w/u - 1.6 miles @ 8:28/mile pace
5 X 800M repeats w/ 400M active recovery in between (3.6 miles). Splits: 2:58, 3:00, 3:02, 2:56, 2:54.
c/d - 1.6 miles @ 8:28/mile pace.

Lower 20s, overcast, breezy.
Brooks Mach 11, long pants, fleece jacket, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

Powered by


Damon said...

Nice work if you haven't been on the track in a while. Thinking ahead to Boston, I'm guessing.

Ruslan said...

Hey Jamie! .30 - .40 sec less for recovery - sounds like your "active recovery" pace is about 9.20 - 9.30, this must be really Tough. Sub 3:00 for 800 obviously is a Happy Summer time for me, not for winter.
Recover well and Good Luck in Boston!ncrr7horse315