Saturday, March 12, 2011

Saturday Long Run

After a whirlwind past couple of days at the state SkillsUSA competitions for school, I was very glad to get home late last night and get a good night's sleep. My students did very well, winning the gold medal in one of the media competitions, which is very exciting.

Run went well, however 12 miles into the run I started getting really hungry. Then I remembered in the craziness of yesterday I barely ate anything. The bowl of oatmeal I had this morning clearly wasn't enough, but I toughed it out and kept the pace steady, but it wasn't as pretty as it could have been.

That aside, good run though. I had anticipated around 8:15/mile, maybe 8:00 if I was feeling good, but wanted to keep the pace easy. Ended up going faster, but it felt comfortable (hunger issues aside).

Boston is approaching fast, and so is the taper period. Just a little over two weeks until that happens. Today's long run just stacked some more hay in the barn, and it's been a very solid week, even with coming off last week's 17-mile tempo run. Confidence is high, but still some work to do until I hit the taper.

Ran 20.0 miles @ 7:48/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 139/160* (wonky data in beginning, average heart rate probably around 137)
Paved roads.
Moderately hilly.
Upper 30s to lower 40s, partly sunny, windy.
Saucony Kinvara, shorts, short sleeved shirt, long sleeved shirt, cap, handheld water bottle.

1 comment:

Sparkplug said...

Congrats to your students, and to you as their teacher! That is awesome. Of course, nice job on the run too :-)