Saturday, April 02, 2011

Short Tempo Run and Diet

The taper schedule allowed for a short tempo run today. I was supposed to do this run yesterday, but flip-flopped it to allow an easy run in the snow storm.

Purpose of today was to give the legs some turnover and remind them of what it feels like to go fast, but at the same time not burn them out. It was work, but I felt pretty good. Pushed it, but not an all out effort. Battled a pretty strong headwind on the way back, which was an added challenge.

Been thinking about my diet lately. I generally eat pretty healthy, but will allow myself to indulge in other not-so-healthy foods here and there (chocolate chip cookies, ice cream, Cheez-its, cheeseburgers, etc.). Haven't eaten as healthy as I could have the past several days, and I'm looking to right that ship. I might allow myself a cheeseburger after tomorrow's 16-miler down in Boston, but other than that, I'm going to focus a lot on fueling myself better for the remaining two weeks to the marathon, especially in that last week.

Ran 5.5 miles @ 6:45/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 151/165
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Mid 40s, sunny, windy.
Saucony Kinvara, shorts, short sleeved shirt, long sleeved shirt.

1 comment:

sn0m8n said...

I had similar diet thoughts pre-Gator Trail, but, ultimately, I decided that I generally eat pretty well and that it would be better than making any real changes. I focused on eating enough and really, really made sure I was hydrated. Food for thought.