Friday, April 29, 2011

Ticks and Trails

I explored some new-to-me trails today around the town I teach in. I had seen the trails from the roads before on the commute to and from work for years, but finally checked them out today. Pretty nice, but badly eroded in spots from ATV's (law says no ATV's until after May 15th, but there ya have it). Still a good little network and I'll hit them again I'm sure.

One section of trail was a bit grown out, and along here I managed to pick up a few passengers. Actually, seven ticks, to be precise. None were embedded very deep, so easy to pick them off. One was huge though. I'd never seen one even come close to being that big and at first I thought it was a spider. Previous host must have been 'roiding.

As for the run, felt very sluggish... no doubt the result of not getting much sleep this whole week, thanks in big part to the Bruins/Habs series and of course the Red Sox. Easily fixed by forcing an early bed time though.

Ran 5.3 miles @ 9:19/mile pace.
Technical trails, some roads.
Moderately hilly.
Mid 60s, partly sunny.
Brooks Mach 11, shorts, short sleeved shirt.

2 comments:

Scout said...

Yuck! The ticks probably saw those calves and said, "Jackpot!"

Kevin said...

The main reason I don't have cable is because I would stay up too late every night watching some sporting event. I don't have self control.