Friday, June 17, 2011

Where'd The Trail Go?

A pretty tiring day at work today, which involved a lot of manual labor remodeling the studio of my media classroom. Wasn't exactly cool and dry during the day either, which made it a bit rough. So, like yesterday, I opted to come home, nap and rest a bit before getting in my run.

I was feeling really sluggish, so decided to spice the run up a little by taking some trails I hadn't been on in a while. Good, muddy fun (it had just rained). The first leg was a success, and it led me back to the fire road and pretty much went the way I remembered. 

After running a loop that went by the pond, I decided to take another trail I also hadn't been on in a while. Apparently nobody else had either. Really hard to see where the trail was. I lost the path several times, but rather than turn around when it was obvious I was off path, wander lust drew me deeper into woods, half wondering if I'd find the trail, or ANY trail, and half just wondering what I might encounter. Tree cover was very thick, which meant virtually no underbrush, so though I was bushwacking it was still quite runnable, albeit at a slow pace. 

Aside from a pretty deep ravine, there really wasn't much of interest, so I eventually navigated my way back to the main fire road, and took that to the trail that led to home. 

Worth noting the deer flies were quite menacing, especially on the back, southern side of the main hill of the fireroad. The other northern side really wasn't bad at all. Kind of odd, and I have noticed it before. I guess it would be logical to assume that the southern side sees a bit more sun, and that may invigorate the little devils more. 

Ran 7.0 miles @ 10:07/mile pace. 
Technical trails and fire roads. 
Very hilly. 
Upper to mid 60s, very humid, overcast. 
Adidas Adizero XT, shorts, short sleeved shirt, hand held bottle (coconut water).

No comments: