Sunday, January 01, 2012

Hello 2012!

I awoke feeling like crap. No, not from drinking. From a bad head cold. I've had it now for over a week and it doesn't want to go away. So far today, it feels even worse. But enough whining. There were trails to run today, dagnabbit! 

So, I muttered "rabbit, rabbit" and rolled out of bed. After a few cups of coffee and a bowl of oatmeal, I was off to meet up with Jeremy for a planned 14-miler on the trails at the landtrust over in Kennebunk. 

The trails here are very deceiving on several fronts. For one, I've ran there four times now and each time we've gotten lost. Secondly, the elevation profile fails to accurately show the constant dips and rises of a few feet in elevation along the trail that very subtly slow down the pace and create more work. Every time I run here, I end the run and see the overall pace and think that slow? WTF?

So Jeremy and I trotted along at an easy pace, conversing about races, training and the possible existence of Sasquatch. It was grand fun. We got a little lost, as expected, and searched for an elusive quarry that we never found. 

Once we hit about nine miles, my head cold was getting the better of me and I felt tired and announced my plans to cut it short. However, I got a bit of a second wind towards the end and we tacked on a little bit of extra trail and I called it good with 13 miles. Jeremy went out and back to get his planned 14 and then we parted ways. Great run with great company. Jeremy rocks. It was a fun way to start 2012. 

Happy New Year!

Ran 13.0 miles @ 10:26/mile pace. 
Trails. 
Moderately hilly (but deceiving, perhaps I should call it very hilly). 
Upper 20s to lower 40s, sunny (where's the snow?!?!)
Adidas Adizero XT, shorts, windbreaker, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves. 

2 comments:

Grellan said...

Happy New Year Jamie. Not a bad run for a guy with a head cold. Looking forward to following your goals in 2012.

Ps I bought Stephen Kings new book over the holidays and am looking forward to reading it.

Jeremy Bonnett said...

Great running with you again, I'm glad you came out after not feeling so well.