Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Human Sail

Brutal wind out there today. I tried to look up the exact wind gusts but the official data from the NWS wasn't available, but they were easily over 30mph and maybe even in excess of 40mph, if I had to guess.

Last weekend, I compared the tailwind to a mother's gentle hand on a toddler's back. Today it was more like a 230 lb. bully giving me a hearty shove in the back. When it was head-on it nearly brought me to a standstill and at times it felt like I was running on a treadmill. 

At least today called for an easy pace, so no worries about the wind affecting performance. I had planned on a short run yesterday after a day of meetings up in Augusta, but the day ran late, so today's 12-miler turned into a 15-miler to make up for it. That worked out well. It was nice to get out in less-than-desirable weather like this. Good for the mind. 

Ran 15.3 miles @ 8:30/mile pace. 
Paved roads. 
Moderately hilly. 
Lower 30s to lower 20s, sunny, very windy. 
Saucony Kinvara 2, long tights, windbreaker, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves. 

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Those workouts are great for the mind. Great job.