Monday, January 16, 2012

Lazy Monday

I spent the entire morning writing and was on a good roll, but I also had a tempo run on tap today. With each passing hour it was getting harder to get outside, so I decided it was time to break the cycle and kick my butt out the door before it became too late.

Really glad I got out there as it went very well and it was a run I needed mentally. After not feeling very excited about my two speedier workouts last week, today was good vengeance. The plan was to warm-up for two miles and then drop the hammer, but I let go of it early and began the tempo pace after the first mile. I continued that for the next eight miles, and then hit the last two miles for the cool down as planned. So, I ended up with a bonus tempo mile as a result. Nice, but a bit risky, as I've put renewed importance on properly warming up (and cooling down).

Now, if only I can apply the same motivation towards getting some grading done, I'll feel really accomplished...

Ran 11.1 miles @ 6:54/mile pace. (1 mile w/u, 8.0 miles @ 6:46/mile pace, 2 miles c/d).
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Mid 20s, partly sunny, breezy.
Saucony Kinvara 2, long tights, windbreaker, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

3 comments:

Jeremy Bonnett said...

Strong workout man, excellent.

Andrew said...

Great tempo run. Wello done!

middle.professor said...

8 miles at 1/2MP should be a hard workout at the beginning of marathon training. This would translate to a 3:06:30 marathon. 8 miles at MP should be comfortably hard at this point. This would be equivalent to 2:57 marathon. This says to mean you are either ran too hard or you're going to have a big PR in Boston.