Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pyramid Scheme


Interval work was on tap today. I decided to do a pyramid workout and Jeremy and I were joking on Facebook about alternate names and "Amway Intervals" came up. Hardy har har!

I wanted to do the pyramid format for a number of reasons: 1) I've never really done one before. 2) Because I've never done one before, I wouldn't get too discouraged with my times which is probably what would have happened if I did my usual 800M or mile repeats. Not having a lot of work done in the training cycle yet on top of the 25-miler on Saturday both were no doubt working against me a bit. The wind didn't help much either.

So, with all of that in mind, I guess I was pretty on par at this stage. Great workout. I found out the pyramid really messed with my head as well. The distances get longer which screws with pacing and mindset, but in the second half when it gets shorter I was thinking it should be a bit easier, but not nearly as much due to the legs being tired. It's harder to get a rhythm going, which is a good thing.

w/u: Ran 2.9 miles @ 8:01/mile pace.
Pyramid intervals: 400M, 800M, 1200M, 1600M, 1200M, 800M, 400M w/ 400M active recovery. 1:20, 2:53, 4:43, 6:14, 4:37, 3:07, 1:30.
c/d: Ran 1.3 miles @ 9:47/mile pace.

Lower 40s, partly cloudy, windy.
Brooks Mach 13, long tights, windbreaker (w/u and c/d only), short sleeved shirt, long sleeved shirt, beanie (w/u and c/d), gloves (w/u and c/d)

3 comments:

Jeremy Bonnett said...

Yup, those do look like fun!

mindy said...

Aw, I thought you were running up real pyramids. Whatever. :(

Andrew said...

Great workout Jamie.