Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Warm Tempo-atures

Was itching to run today with it being somewhat sunny and the thermometer hitting 50F/10C outside. So, as soon as I was allowed to leave work, I was out the door in shorts for my tempo run (FWIW, after the run I worked for another hour before coming home).

Went really well on all fronts, except that I jumped the gun and didn't really warm-up, aside from the first mile at 6:57. That mile included with the next nine, I ended up with the planned 10 miles at tempo, with an overall pace of 6:42/mile. It felt like it should, smooth and controlled. While it was work, it wasn't overly so. Never struggled.

Nice that this was done on a moderately hilly route also. Last week's eight mile tempo was pretty flat by comparison, so it was good mentally to go two miles longer, have more elevation change and do it faster. Ran the last 2.7 mile portion easy. Good day for sure. Very pleased.

The overlay on Google Maps via runningahead.com shows 12.63 miles, but my Garmin is always short. Will call it 12.7 miles overall, but I have no doubt that's still conservative. I could measure it out manually, but I'd rather take a shower right now and get some grub.

Ran 12.7 miles @ 6:53/mile pace (adjusted)
Tempo portion: Ran 10.0 miles @ 6:42/mile pace (unadjusted)
Paved roads, several puddles.
Moderately hilly.
Around 50 degrees, partly sunny.
Saucony Kinvara 2, shorts, long sleeved shirt (sleeves pushed up 1.5 miles in), cap.


1 comment:

Jeremy Bonnett said...

You are poised already for Boston my man.