Saturday, February 11, 2012

Slow in the Snow

One of my goals this week is to get in at least 60 miles. I allowed myself to focus a bit more on recovery throughout the week because of last Sunday's MWC and also the pretty big long run I had on Thursday. And tomorrow, I also have the Bradbury White Out 4-mile snowshoe race.

So, I was happy to put myself in a position where tomorrow's race will get me over the weekly mileage goal. But I think it's safe to say that 41.5 miles on roads over the past three days isn't exactly setting myself up for a great performance tomorrow. However, it'll still be a great tempo run and I'm going to treat it as such. Plan is to go out pretty moderately for the first half and then try to step it up for the last two miles and try not to think about placing (easier said than done). 

But back to today's run: Nice and slow. It was kinda weird in the sense that it would have been relatively difficult to push the pace much faster but at the same time I was very comfortable and felt like I could go forever. I was tempted to tack on a few more miles towards the end but I stuck with my planned route. 

It was tranquil as well. A light to moderate snow was falling throughout. The road shoulders stayed in good shape though, since temps were right at the freezing mark and nothing was sticking to the pavement just yet. Not a lot of traffic out either. The mind just wandered around, which was easily accomplished since the pace was so slow and comfortable. Really enjoyed today's run. 

Ran 14.3 miles @ 8:51/mile pace. 
Paved roads. 
Moderately hilly. 
Lower 30s, overcast, light to moderate snowfall throughout. 
Saucony Kinvara 2, long tights, windbreaker, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves. 

2 comments:

mindy said...

It's the weekend of Zen runs. Nice work Jamie sticking right to your schedule. You're going to have a great race tomorrow!

Andrew said...

Good mileage, good pace.