Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Konk-A-Ree!

Red-winged blackbirds are among the first birds to migrate into Maine each spring. I actually heard the first one of the season at around mile seven of the race on Sunday but forgot to mention it (they have a distinct "konk-a-ree" call). I heard them out in full force during one section of the run today.

The weather was once again very warm. Things cool back down a little tomorrow, but it should still easily be shorts weather.

Good little run. Trying to arrange the running schedule for the week but it poses some challenges with a big school competition on Thursday and Friday. Might try to get in a medium-long run at an easy pace tomorrow. Maybe a ten miler Thursday in the early morning and then take a rest day Friday, which is going to be nuts with the contests. Weekend should be considerably more open.

Ran 7.1 miles @ 8:19/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Very hilly.
Upper 60s, mostly cloudy.
Brooks Mach 13, shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap.

2 comments:

Sparkplug said...

I saw one today on my run, mixed in with a group of grackles. Yeah! I love having the redwinged blackbirds back in the spring :-)

P.S. Congrats on a great race on Sunday! Awesome!!

Scout said...

You both saw them before I did last year, too. I also love that the Chickadees are making their "snoop wiggy" call!