Saturday, March 17, 2012

Trails and Roads

After a crazy two days of school competitions over in Bangor (we did awesome!), I allowed myself to sleep in a little and lounge around before heading out. By then the weather was warming up and it only got nicer.

The plan was to do the first 2/3's on roads and the other 1/3 on trails. This was a compromise, as it'd probably be smart to stick to roads because of Boston but I also really wanted to run in the woods.

The Roads
The original plan was to run everything easy today, but I decided to change gears a little for the road portion and the first five miles were a progression down to MP (tad faster, actually). Splits were 6:48, 6:42, 6:39, 6:48 and 6:40 before slowing back down to easy pace for the rest.

Had I have known I was going to do a portion at MP, I would have done the trails first so I could do this at the end of the run on tired legs. That would have made more sense. Poor planning on my part, but that's improvisation for you. Oh well.

Worth noting that in the final two miles, Kate drove by holding a bag of burritos out of the car window. Cruel. She thought I was finishing up so when I got home to change, I called her to let her know I still had some more left to do and to eat without me.

Ran 14.3 miles @ 7:25/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Moderately hilly.
Lower to upper 40s, partly cloudy.
Saucony Kinvara 2, shorts, long sleeved shirt, cap.

The Trails
After the phone call, some water, a shoe and shirt change I was out the door to hit the woods out back. By now it was even warmer and the birds were singing in full force. The trails were in terrific shape, only 5% coated in pebbled ice and packed snow. The rest was good ole dirt and mud. Simply great to be in the woods on such an awesome day. Kept the pace easy and just enjoyed it.

Ran 7.7 @ 9:02/mile pace.
Trails.
Very hilly.
Lower to mid-50s, sunny.
New Balance MT110, shorts, short sleeved shirt.

1 comment:

mindy said...

Perfect day to run - killer splits and awesome that you hit the trail, too!