Thursday, March 01, 2012

Winter Returns!

The Dion 121 snowshoes haven't been able to see much action this winter, but thankfully a significant snowstorm today provided a welcome reprieve. School was cancelled, so after a few cups of coffee and a bowl of berries and yogurt, I was out the door around 8am.

By then, there was plenty of snow on the ground. Probably a good 6" worth and higher in drifts and it continued to fall heavily throughout the run. I took the trail from my house, which unfortunately is next to the road for the first half mile or so. At times, I had to run on the banks which were quite deep and soft. I rejoiced once the trail ducked into the woods and the snow was easier to manage.

The woods were great. I had them all to myself. Wind picked up sporadically and the blowing snow reduced visibility to about a 100 ft. at times, which under the canopy of trees gave it a spooky ambiance, only adding to the fun.

I reached the pond three miles in and then turned around and came back the same way. On the return, my butt started getting cold due to the kicked up snow sticking to my clothing. All of my compression shorts need to be washed, so I was wearing my thicker bike shorts underneath my tights and was glad I had done so. I would have been much colder without them.

Very awesome run. Breaking trail made it a great workout, but at the same time it wasn't a drudge at all. Looking forward to a hot shower and another cup of coffee before I settle in and get some grading and writing stuff done.

Ran 6.1 miles @ 11:10/mile pace.
Trails, 6"+ unbroken powder.
Very hilly.
Around 23 degrees, overcast, heavy snow, breezy.
Dion 121 snowshoes with New Balance MT110, long tights, windbreaker, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

No comments: