Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Deer, the Flies Named After Them and Ticks

The bridge that leads to the trail network in the woods out back was supposed to be finished a few weeks ago. But as I suspected, the rain and floods lately have delayed or inhibited construction. After I confirmed that, I decided to hit an alternate trail route in another area.

Along the way, I felt those annoying taps on my head for the first time this season. The deer flies are out. I actually killed one on Sunday when we were swimming after running the Bald Face loop, but none had bothered me while running that day.

Had to run on paved roads for about a mile, but I was pleasantly surprised to see a normally washed out section of snowmobile trails on the powerlines has been reworked. Normally I avoid this section because it's usually flooded, but it is now great to run on.

Took it up the hill and saw a few deer bound away into the woods. Several times I brushed against some taller grass and picked up ticks. Pulled off five so far (and counting). Joined the Dump Loop trails and took them home. Good run.

Ran 7.7 miles @ 8:49/mile pace.
Trails, one mile of paved roads.
Moderately hilly.
Lower 70s, very humid, mostly cloudy.
New Balance MT110, shorts, short sleeved shirt.

2 comments:

Scout said...

Sunday was my first brush with deer flies this year, too. At least that seems like the one thing late this year :D

Jeremy Bonnett said...

I made the mistake of running along a beaver damn... Lot's o' deer flies there.