Monday, November 12, 2012

Dead Owls

Just a slow and short out and back along Rt. 5. Legs felt great, despite the run up Ossipee yesterday. Still, kept the pace very pedestrian.

Saw a dead northern saw-whet owl by the side of the road. Poor little guy. I've heard them at night before but had never seen one in the wild, until now. I don't think dead ones count as official sightings though. If they do, it's certainly not as exciting.

Ran 4.1 miles @ 8:39/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Mostly flat.
Upper 40s to lower 50s, sunny.
Merrell Bare Access, shorts, long sleeved shirt, cap.

4 comments:

Scout said...

:( I love saw whet owls. I have only seen them in captivity, but had a stuffed one from a souvenir shop of the wildlife place we went to when I was a Campfire Girl.

Sparkplug said...

Awww , poor thing :( I'd love to see one too but not dead! Wonder what happened to it?

unstrung said...

Worrisome... :( Was it mangled? Any clues as to how it died?

Jamie Anderson said...

I'm guessing merely the victim of roadkill, since it was right off the shoulder of the road. Looked like there was blunt trauma to the head. Couldn't have happened longer than a day or two ago.