Sunday, December 16, 2012

An Expected Journey

Had considered running long today on the roads, but decided a shorter trail run would be more prudent, since I didn't want to push the weekly mileage too much at this stage and I was already far enough along for the week. I also had no plans on running fast, so why not hit the trails?

So, off I went. I explored some powerline trails that I hadn't been on before. Shortly after entering the new section, I came across a side trail that ducked into the woods. Naturally, I had to take it. In doing so, I came across a magestic, mile long section that went along a stream and some beautiful woods. The rocks and diversity of forest was amazing, including a pine hammock that featured some huge trees that could have been old growth. I also saw a snowshoe hare, its coat a brilliant white, bounce away at full speed and I immediately thought of Radagast's Rhosgobel rabbits (saw The Hobbit last night).

I wondered if it was the same section that Kate had stumbled upon several years ago, and after I got home and talked to her about it, we decided that was it. I remember her raving about that section of trail, so I'm really glad that it's been rediscovered. I'll definitely run there again.

I continued on the trail wondering where it would go and eventually I got spit out on to a road. By now, it had started to snow. Cool, another treat! Now I just had to decide where to go. I figured the road was Rt. 117 and I could take it back and reconnect with another road and eventually the trails again and started in that direction. Then I thought, wait a minute...why not take the road the other way, find the powerlines and run those back towards home? So, I turned around and did just that with no complications. The exploration was a huge success and I had a blast.

Happy to finish the week with 53.4 miles, a sound step up in mileage as well as intensity. The race last Sunday (though that was last week), a progression run on Tuesday and the hill repeats on Friday were very good additions and the easy runs were kept easy. Right on track and all systems go.

Ran 13.1 miles @ 9:40/mile pace.
Trails, one small section of road.
Very hilly.
Upper teens, overcast, light to moderate snow in the second half.
New Balance MT110, long tights, windbreaker, short sleeved shirt, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

No comments: