Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Full Gamut at Val's

Val and Rick very graciously hosted their annual Fat Ass trail run from their house today. Thanks guys! Great time as always. I had 20-25 miles on tap today. Was happy with a little over 20, especially since we cranked it on the last loop.

Each loop was a little over five miles. Trail conditions had it all: Post-holing snow, bare ground and everything in between. Tough going, but great strength training. Great nature sighting as well, as we spotted a huge bald eagle by a stream. Huuuuge.

Stoked to run the whole thing with my buddies Jeremy and Zak. We were also joined by others, including Ian, Emma and Blaine, for large portions. Good to catch up with everyone.

On the last loop (four total), Zak, Jeremy and I dropped the hammer a little. Nice to end a long run with some pep. Overall pace was 9:23/mile which includes two pee stops and rehydrating at the aid station. In these conditions, that's a pretty darn good pace (for me). Felt great all around and that was some good hay in the barn.

Also, I end my running weeks on Sundays, but looking at the last seven days, I've gotten in 67.8 miles. Stoked about that. Five miler tomorrow will get me over 60 for the official week.

Ran 20.6 miles @ 9:23/mile pace.
Trails, full gamut of conditions.
Moderately hilly.
Lower to mid 30s, overcast, intermittent light snow.
New Balance MT100, Yaktrax Pros, long tights, long sleeved shirt, short sleeved shirt, buff, gloves.

No comments: